In the fall of 2017, ATCO proposes to begin construction on the Southwest Calgary Connector (SWCC), which will include:
- The installation of a 508 mm (20") natural gas transmission pipeline that will run 14 km within the Transportation/Utility Corridor from the Sarcee Trail SW/Glenmore Trail SW interchange to Spruce Meadows Trail (HWY 22X).
- The installation of the South Glenmore Lateral, which is a 324 mm (12") natural gas transmission pipeline that runs 1.9 km within the Transportation/Utility Corridoe along the extension of 90th Avenue SW.
- The installation of above ground gate stations and control facilities.
What You Will See
ATCO has a well-defined process in place for pipeline installations. Typical construction activites you will see when construction begins are:
Pre-installation Activities, Summer 2017
- Surveying the pipeline alignment and workspace (horizontal directional drills) to establish and mark consturction limits and to locate other underground utilities (pipelines, cables, etc.).
- Removing and stockpiling topsoil in layers to protect the soil for future use.
- Grading and preparing land for construction.
Pipeline Installation Activities, Fall 2017 to Summer 2018
- Excavation of trenches to install pipelines.
- Set up of horizontal drilling rigs and support trailers at road crossing locations.
- Stringing and welding of pipe sections.
- Non-destructive inspection on 100% of welds.
- Lowering the pipeline into trenches.
- Hydro-static pressure testing new pipe sections.
- Connecting the new pipeline to the existing system.
- Commissioning of the pipeline for natural gas transmission services.
- Restoring temporary working space and other affected land areas back to original conditions once all work is completed.
View ATCO's project brochure.
Pipeline Renewal Project Routes
Included in the pipeline renewal project are the following routes, please click on the links to view route details:
ATCO welcomes the opportunity to discuss this project with you. You may contact:
- Frederic De Caigny, Project Manager at 403-245-7159 or email@example.com
- Kyle Wig, Supervisor - Land Acquisition at 403-245-7049 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.