The final design
for the Crowchild Trail/Flanders Avenue Interchange was approved by City Council in November 2014. The design reflects the extensive input generated during public consultations from December 2013 to June 2014.
We will post updates on this webpage on activity related to this project. Visit the project websites at calgary.ca/flanders
for more information.
If you have any questions about the traffic impacts, please contact the Flanders Interchange project team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or by phone at 1-888-587-5390, or visit calgary.ca/trafficinfo
Update April 20, 2016
On Wednesday, April 20, construction of the Flanders Interchange will temporarily impact access to Richard Road SW from southbound Crowchild Trail, as the Richard Road off-ramp will be closed from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. Drivers on southbound Crowchild Trail will still be able to exit at 50 Avenue/Mount Royal Gate SW, or at 33 Avenue SW.
What to expect:
- Transit routes will be detoured via 50 Avenue/Mount Royal Gate SW during the temporary closure.
- Access to the CFB Business Park (Currie site) will be maintained during the temporary closure, but drivers should expect brief delays.
Update March 10, 2016
Starting Monday, March 14 until Friday, March 18, there will be various overnight lane closures on Crowchild Trail to accommodate the installation of girders for the new interchage.
Beginning March 20, there will be a new off-ramp and road alignment for traffic exiting southbound Crowchild Trail for Richard Road SW. The current off-ramp access to Currie Business Park from southbound Crowchild Trail will remain unchanged, but a second, new exit will be in place for traffic bound for Richard Road SW. Richard Road traffic will travel further south along southbound Crowchild Trail, past the Currie Business Park exit, to take the new off-ramp.
What to expect:
- Southbound Crowchild Trail will be reduced to one lane on March 14 to 15 from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am
- Crowchild Trail reduced to one lane in each direction March 16 to 18 from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am
- The new traffic alignment for southbound Richard Road is not expected to result in traffic delays or significant changes to traffic flow. It will be in place until the new Flanders Interchange roundabouts are operational in fall 2016
Update November 5, 2015
This Saturday, November 7 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, the southbound Crowchild Trail on-ramp at Richard Road SW will undergo a temporary closure to allow for the paving of the new Flanders Interchange on-ramp.
What to expect:
- Traffic in the area will be able to access southbound Crowchild Trail via 33 Avenue SW, or Mount Royal Gate/50 Avenue SW during the temporary closure
- Traffic on northbound Crowchild Trail and traffic exiting southbound Crowchild Trail at Richard Road will not be impacted during the temporary closure
Update October 22, 2015
This Saturday, October 24th at 12:00 am, northbound Crowchild Trail at Flanders Avenue SW will undergo a temporary detour for 20 minutes to allow for the relocation of drilling equipment currently located between the north and southbound sections of Crowchild Trail.
What to expect:
- Drivers on northbound Crowchild Trail will be detoured from 50 Avenue/Mount Royal Gate SW, and north along 20 Street SW to 33 Avenue SW to resume travel on Crowchild Trail northbound via the 33 Avenue SW onramp
- Traffic on southbound Crowchild Trail will not be impacted
Update October 9, 2015
Starting October 9, temporary lane realignments and lane reductions will affect how traffic flows on Crowchild Trail to allow for work to begin on the construction of the centre pier for Flanders Bridge. Detours and lane reductions are scheduled for the Thanksgiving long weekend, and during the evening hours to help minimize impact on peak traffic times.
The main impacts are:
- Temporary lane realignments and closures October 9 to 18, 7:00 pm to 6:00 am daily
- Temporary detour southbound Crowchild Trail October 10, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Update September 21, 2015
With the demolition of the Flanders Bridge during the September long weekend, construction of the new Crowchild Trail/Flanders Avenue Interchange is now in full swing. The existing on-ramp from Richard Road to southbound Crowchild Trail will have three temporary closures in coming weeks: Saturday, September 26, October 3 and October 10 from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Speed limits on Crowshild Trail are being reduced from 80 km/hour to 60 km/hour in the active construction areas around Flanders Avenue to ensure worker safety.
Pedestrians and cyclists are encouraged to cross Crowchild Trail via 33 Ave SW and 50 Ave/Mount Royal Gate SW. Here is a map
of the recommended pedestrian and cyclist route south of 33 Avenue SW.
Update September 3, 2015
The Flanders Avenue bridge will be demolished during the September long weekend. During the Flanders Bridge demolition, crews will be working around the clock from 7:00 p.m. on September 4 to 6:00 a.m. September 8. Traffic on Crowchild Trail will be reduced to one lane southbound and one lane northbound between 33 Avenue SW and 50 Avenue/Mount Royal Gate SW. Drivers should expect delays, and avoid the area if possible. Traffic on Crowchild will return to normal September 8 at 6:00 a.m.
Update August 11, 2015
Two drop-in Public Information Sessions will be held at The Military Museums Atrium, 4520 Crowchild Trail SW from 6 to 9 pm on August 19 and on September 1, 2015.
Update July 13, 2015
On Wednesday July 15, Caen Avenue will be closed from the entrance of the CFB Business Park to Quesnay Wood Drive. This section of Caen Avenue will remain closed until late 2016.
Beginning July 15, traffic coming from north Calgary will be able to access the CFB Business Park via the new off-ramp from Crowchild Trail to Battleford Avenue. For traffic coming from south Calgary, access to the CFB Business Park will be via Richardson Way and Falaise Avenue.
Traffic will exit the site via Falaise Avenue/Richardson Way.
Update June 22, 2015
On Saturday June 27, the ramp from southbound Crowchild Trail to Flanders Avenue will be closed for a 12-hour period to allow for the installation of a storm pipe. The detour will block southbound Crowchild Trail traffic from accessing the Currie Barracks site, the Flanders Avenue bridge and Richard Road.
Alternate access to these areas from southbound Crowchild Trail will be via either the 33rd Avenue SW or 50th Avenue/Mount Royal Gate exits.
The closure is scheduled on a Saturday to avoid disrupting commuter traffic. Detour signage will be in place to highlight alternate routes.