Top lift paving - the final step in road reconstruction
Elbow Drive has been reconstructed from Glenmore Trail to 4 Street S.W. during construction seasons in 2010 to 2012. After reconstruction, the roadway is typically given a few years to settle.
After any necessary warranty repairs are completed, the roadway receives a final layer of paving called top lift paving. This final layer smooths out any areas of uneven payment around utilities and repairs patches, and uneven areas around construction joints from different construction stages.
From Sept. 9-22, expect variable lane and access closures between Glenmore Trail and Britannia Dr. S.W.
- Paving will occur during the day and in the evening.
- Side roads, alleys and driveways along the paving route will need brief closures of a few hours to allow for the placement and cooling of asphalt as the paving operation progresses.
- Please obey all traffic signs and detours.
- Flag persons will be on-site to direct traffic.
- Watch for hazards such as sharp bumps at construction joints, protruding manholes, and fresh oil.
The section of Elbow Drive from Sifton Boulevard to 4 Street S.W. was completed in 2012/2013 and will not receive top lift paving for another year or more. During this time, there will be areas of uneven pavement. Once the top lift paving is done, uneven areas will be smoothed out.
Major Roads reconstruction program
Elbow Drive has been reconstructed under the Major Roads reconstruction program, a program dedicated to reconstructing the city's aging roadways. Elbow Drive was identified as a priority for this work and is the first roadway to benefit from this program. Centre Street and Edmonton Trail are also being reconstructed under this program.
For more information on this project, please visit calgary.ca/elbowdrive or call 311.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.