Each week The City of Calgary collects over 5,000 tonnes of garbage and recycling from about 300,000 residential homes each week, that’s the equivalent weight of 733 elephants! This is why we need your help to ensure that our collection staff can do their job safely and efficiently.
Here are a few tips for how you can help them by placing your carts properly:
- Cart collection starts at 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Leave some space around your carts. If you can walk around and between your carts the mechanical arms on the collection trucks will be able to reach, grab and lift your carts safely.
- Fill your black cart with as many items as possible. If you have extra garbage bags please leave them at least 30 cm (1ft) of space between your cart and bag(s).
- When your carts are on flat ground they are less likely to roll or tip over.
- Please make sure there is at least one metre (3ft) of space between your cart and any other obstacles, such as cars, fences, garages and power poles, so that the mechanical arms can safely lift your carts.
For more placement tips please watch this Report to Calgarians video clip.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.