On January 29, the Standing Policy Committee on Utilities and Corporate Services recommended that Council approve a strategy for implementing a multi-family residential recycling program
Here are a few quick facts about the strategy:
• A bylaw amendment will be presented to Council for approval in September 2014, requiring multi-family housing to have on-site recycling services by 2016.
• There is no “one size fits all” approach that will work for all multi-family complexes. Collection will be provided by the private sector so that multi-family complexes can tailor recycling services to their needs.
• The City will create awareness of the bylaw change through promotional and educational campaigns.
• The City will not be setting or collecting any fees, it is up to building managers, owners and/or condo boards to negotiate costs with the private recycling provider of their choice.
• Community recycling depots
will remain, but their usage will be monitored once multi-family recycling is established. Adjustments to the community depots will be made as necessary.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.