Do you have a real Christmas tree in your home this year? If so, you can turn it into useful mulch instead of garbage through the annual Christmas Tree Recycling program. Crews will pick up real Christmas trees from homes that receive residential black cart garbage collection.
To participate, place your tree on the ground near your black cart collection spot by 7 a.m. on Friday, January 9. Make sure the tree is not blocking the street, lane or sidewalk and is at least one foot (30 centimetres) away from your carts. Leave the tree out and it will be picked up within three weeks.
Eight tree drop-off locations will also be open from December 26 to January 31:
• Bowness Fire Station #15 - 6358 35 Avenue NW
• Prairie Winds Park - 223 Castleridge Blvd NE
• Bottomlands Park - St. George's Drive and 7 Avenue NE
• Marda Loop Communities Association - 3130 16 Street SW
• Parks Compound - 10312 Sacramento Drive SW
• Spyhill Landfill* - 69 Street and 112 Avenue NW
• East Calgary Landfill* - 17 Avenue and 68 Street SE
• Shepard Landfill* - 114 Avenue and 68 Street SE
*Landfill locations are closed Sundays.
To prepare your tree for recycling, please remove the tree stand and any ornaments and lights. Also, don’t bag or tie your tree.
The mulch from this program is made available to citizens for gardening and landscaping at the East Calgary landfill while supplies last.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.