Updated closure dates as of September 26th:
The closure is now anticipated to take place between September 29-October 4, 2014.
In June 2013 the three pedestrian bridges that cross over the Elbow River were damaged beyond repair. Currently, there is a construction project underway to replace these bridges; this project is on schedule for the bridges to be open and ready for use by late December 2014*.
The towers, cables and deck panels are currently being installed at Sandy Beach Bridge. This sequence of work will be undertaken at the other two bridges, starting at Rideau Park Bridge and then the Riverdale Avenue Bridge.
Riverdale Avenue Bridge construction and Sifton Boulevard closure
• Crews will begin tower installation at Riverdale Avenue Bridge the week of Sept. 15 followed by cable installation and then deck panel installation.
• The deck panels need to be installed using a very large crane, which will have to sit on Sifton Boulevard in order to complete the work (visit the project web page
to see time lapses of the tower and deck panel installations at Sandy Beach Bridge, along with the crane that is being used).
• When the crane is moved to Sifton Boulevard S.W., Sifton Boulevard will need to be closed between 7 and 8 Streets S.W. The anticipated dates are from Sept. 26-Oct. 4*.
• Traffic will be detoured around the closure, through the neighbourhood along 7 and 8 Streets S.W. and along 38 Avenue, so you will see more traffic in your neighbourhood.
• We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding. The crews will make every effort to get the work done as quickly as possible.
The areas around all three bridges are construction zones and will remain so until the construction is complete and the bridges are open for use. No one may enter these areas unless they are part of the construction team and are wearing hard hats, steel-toed boots and safety vests.
*Dates are subject to change based on weather and site conditions.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.