Most Calgary streets are safe and pleasant; however, on some streets speeding, cut through traffic and increased traffic volume has a negative impact on the quality of life and feeling of safety for neighbourhood residents.
When this happens, traffic calming can offer a means of resolving some of the traffic related issues and improve safety. Communities can apply for a community traffic study; however, there are other activities that communities can also undertake in an effort to mitigate some of the traffic related concerns such as:
- Articles in community newsletters and websites to raise awareness of the traffic concerns within the community.
- Liaising with police to help address issues through enforcement.
- Liaising with schools to help address typical school-related traffic issues such as parking, drop-off zones, and pedestrian safety.
- Contacting the City of Calgary to arrange for placement of Speed Limit Observation and Warning Systems (SLOWS) signs (or other educational traffic signs) in identified locations in the community.
- Providing the community with information, such as City of Calgary Traffic Tips booklet, maps, and other documents.
To report a community traffic concern or to apply for a community traffic study, please submit an online request. If your concern is related to speeding, you can contact the Calgary Police Service for enforcement.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.