Share this page Print

Ward 3 News: Widening an Existing Driveway for Parking

  • Share

Ward 3 official website 
If you are thinking about widening your driveway for parking you must first obtain approval from Transportation Planning by completing an online 311 Acess Request for New or Widening Driveways. This is the first step in the development permit approval process.

Once you obtain approval from Transportation Planning, you can apply for a Development Permit for a Driveway Relaxation. Contact 403-268-5311 or visit the Planning Services Counter for more information about how to apply for a development permit, the application process, and fees.

Development Permit applications are reviewed by The City, and can be approved, approved with conditions, or refused. The Land Use Bylaw helps regulate the neighbourhoods you live in by controlling how land can be developed throughout the city. It also regulates driveway width as follows:
  • Narrow properties with a width of nine metres or less, can have a driveway six metres wide;
  • Properties larger than nine metres in width can have a driveway seven metres wide; and
  • Properties wider than 15 metres have no driveway restrictions under the current Land Use Bylaw.

An approved City Development Permit for an extended driveway might later require the city sidewalk or curb to be lowered or sloped to allow your vehicle to drive onto your driveway.  You can obtain a free driveway crossing estimate from The City by completing on online 311 eServices - Request curb lowering for existing driveways estimate.


Reasons The City discourages paving front yards for parking
Neighbourhood appeal - Parking on your front yard reduces neighbourhood appeal, which is often the reason why neighbours file a complaint with The City's Bylaw Services.  Following the Land Use Bylaw 1P2007 rules limits the impact on your community and neighbours.
Street Parking - Extended driveways eliminate on street parking for neighbours and visitors.
Enforcement and parking fines - The City investigates all citizen parking complaints.  If your vehicle is parked on your front yard, and no Development Permit has been obtained to expand your driveway for parking, a ticket can be issued.

Paving over City property and utility right-of-ways - City property extends onto your lot by over a metre. This portion of City property cannot be paved and used as additional parking without an approved Development Permit.  Properties with paved front lawns and utility right-of-ways create excavation challenges for repair crews that need to access vital services.


Enforcement is an on-going challenge, as officers are alerted to investigate potential extended driveway infractions via citizen complaint. After investigation, a notice is sent to the homeowner of the extended driveway that requests the homeowner to apply for a Development Permit or return the driveway to its original state. 

Unfortunately, there isn’t a one size fits all solution to enforcing extended driveways. Each home, lot and driveway is a different size and each homeowner has a different set of reasons for extending their driveway. We review each case individually and try our best to recommend the most reasonable solution that fits the needs of the homeowner and the community.

This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.