• All Calgary property and business owners should have received their assessment notice by now. We encourage everyone to carefully review their assessment and ensure that all the information is accurate.
• The 2017 property assessments are based on the market value of property on July 1, 2016 and its physical condition as of Dec. 31, 2016. The 2017 business assessments are based on the typical net annual rental value of the business premises on July 1, 2016.
• Tools are available to help property and business owners understand their assessment, review all the details we have on record that contributed to their assessment, and calculate their estimated 2017 taxes Calgary.ca/revenueneutral). All of this information is available by logging into Assessment Search at Calgary.ca/assessment. Instructions on how to set up an account are available on Assessment Search.
• After reviewing their assessment details, if customers have any questions, they should contact Assessment at 403-268-2888 during the Customer Review Period (on now until March 6, 2017) to speak with an assessor. It’s a free call and once the assessor reviews the details on record, if anything needs to be changed, Assessment will do so and send the customer an amended assessment. Changes will only be considered if received during the Customer Review Period.
• If customers are still not satisfied that their assessment is a reflection of market value/typical net annual rental value on July 1 of last year, they may file a formal complaint with the Assessment Review Board. There is a fee to file a complaint. Note: customers can only appeal their assessment, not their taxes.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.