On Monday, January 16th 2017, the Highland Park Golf Redevelopment Land Use application came before Council. After two days of deliberations, where the applicant, community and Council discussed the merits of the plan, Council voted to adjourn this meeting to next Monday, January 23rd 2017. This deferment ensures that all Councillors will be in attendance and that ongoing conversations about the project can continue. I believe that many of my colleagues brought forward insightful questions for Administration, the applicant and the community stakeholders in attendance. The extra week is an excellent opportunity for continued dialogue around the redevelopment plan and for further efforts to meet community needs. I look forward to the process and for a continuation of the productive deliberations on Monday, January 23rd 2017.
During the process I brought forward, to my colleagues, numerous amendments to the application that I believe would address the main concerns I have heard from extensive consultation with the community. These amendments, due to the delay, will now be brought forward on Monday. This redevelopment project is vital to the fabric of the community of Highland Park and I want to ensure that the best decision is made by council. At this time I would like to let you know that my amendments, and requests, include:
- Capping overall, and specific, density levels within the site
- Ensuring adequate green space remains after redevelopment
- Removing the applicant Relaxation Clause
- Ensuring a proper buffering zone between development and the existing community
- Ensuring proper Slope Adaptive development
- Prohibiting access through the residential section of 44 and 43 Ave
- Strengthening plan adherence to the City of Calgary Design Guidelines
Thank you for your attention,
Sean Chu, Ward 4
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.