We would like to share updated information about an ongoing sanitary sewer installation project at Laycock Park. We are working to expand the capacity of our sanitary sewer system in north Calgary. The Nose Creek Sanitary Sewer Trunk will move sewage flows from north Calgary to the Bonnybrook Wastewater Treatment Plant. These upgrades are needed to meet future growth needs in north Calgary, Airdrie, Balzac, and the Calgary International Airport.
Storm outfall N31 was identified for replacement in 2014 due to its deteriorating condition. Because it is less than 10 metres from the sanitary work, we will be replacing the outfall while we are doing work in the area.
Updates and planned work
Recent work along 6 St NE south of Laycock Park will be complete in November 2016
At Laycock Park, Water work that began in 2012 is now expected to be completed between January and April 2017 and includes installation of a short section of sanitary sewer pipe underneath Nose Creek and replacement of storm outfall N31.
After work at Laycock Park is complete, an important connection between the existing sewer and the newly-built sewer can be completed. This ‘diversion manhole’ will be built near the south gates to Laycock Park at 6 Street N.E. This work is estimated to start by May 2017.
We will be sharing more information about the pedestrian bridge installation and park enhancement work as these details become available.
• Several large pumps and generators will be used to divert Nose Creek around the construction site. There will be noise from these pumps and generators, and they will be running 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Steps will be taken to minimize this noise as much as possible.
• Lay down areas for construction equipment will be in the Laycock Park parking lot which is currently closed.
• Construction access will be from 6 Street N.E., with some intermittent access required via Blackthorne Road.
• Noise and dust impacts will be monitored and will adhere to City bylaws.
• Work hours are typically Monday to Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., with some days going as late as 9 p.m.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact 311 (24 hours, seven days a week).
We regret the inconvenience our work may cause, and thank you for your patience as we continue work on this critical infrastructure.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.