Richard Pootmans was raised in Ottawa and has lived in Calgary since 1979. He was first elected to serve as Councillor for Ward 6 in October 2010.
Since taking office, Richard has worked with industry, community groups and the City to ensure that ongoing development in the Ward is sustainable, affordable and serves the needs and interests of the communities he represents. Public safety, transportation and well-planned, livable communities are the three key themes that drive the work he does in the Ward.
Richard currently serves on the following Council Committees:
Richard has more than 30 years experience as a successful businessman and public service leader. Prior to being elected, Richard worked as a business executive in a public company, co-owned and managed a successful business, worked in the oil patch and served on numerous community and business boards.
Richard is married to Frances Wright. As the founding CEO of the Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child
Sexual Abuse (cc4ms), Frances is working with outstanding Calgarians to heal
and support adult male survivors of child sexual abuse, the 1 in 6 men who were
sexually abused before the age of 18 but are now over the age of
- Senior Business Development Manager, Real Estate - Calgary Economic Development
- Financial Analyst; Vice President, Installations - SMED International
- Consultant; Financial management, business strategy - TractionWorks
- Co-owner - PORTS International stores, Calgary
- Landman - Hudson's Bay Oil & Gas, Dome Petroleum
- Victoria Park-Stampede Expansion Advisory Committee - Member, City Council appointee
- Uptown 17 Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) - Founding Chair of Calgary’s first BRZ
- Famous 5 Foundation - Financial, strategic, and marketing advisor
- University of Calgary - Haskayne School of Business, Instructor
- Calgary Immigrant Aid Society - Honorary Lifetime Member
- Economic Development Alberta - Economic Developer of the Year
- Calgary Economic Development - 'Gorilla' Marketing Award
To sign up for the Ward 6 Report sent directly to your inbox, click here.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.