Blue cart collection had been temporarily suspended city-wide during the June 2013 flood crisis, but Waste & Recycling Services (W&RS) will resume regular blue cart collection throughout Calgary the week of July 8. This is a test.
Residents are reminded that recyclable materials must be placed loose in the blue cart. If you have extra materials please take them to a community recycling depot or save them for the following week.
Service in Flood-Affected Neighbourhoods
Waste & Recycling Services’ trucks will continue circulating through flood-affected neighbourhoods assisting residents with collection of flood waste. W&RS will also continue servicing dumpsters that were temporarily located in these communities for flood materials.
- Blue and black carts will be collected on the regular collection day at the regular location (front street or lane).
- Residents should contact 311 to report missing or damaged carts so The City can replace them.
- Residents who are missing black carts in those areas can use garbage bags (maximum weight 20 kg per bag).
- Recyclables cannot be bagged so you need a blue cart to resume recycling collection. Please contact 311.
- Household hazardous waste should be taken to the Throw ‘N’ Go areas in City landfills or designated fire halls for safe disposal (visit calgary.ca/waste for locations).
- Appliances should also be taken to the Throw ‘N’ Go locations in City landfills.
City Landfill Hours
In order to assist with the flood clean-up, operating hours at the three City of Calgary landfills – Spyhill, Shepard and East Calgary – were extended from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Those hours will continue until Sunday, July 7.
Starting Monday, July 8, City landfills will resume normal operating hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The City will continue to waive landfill fees for flood-related waste until further notice.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during the flood clean-up effort.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.