I would like to introduce you to another valuable member of our team, Constable Wayne Chandler, who is a Police Officer with The Calgary Police Service. Constable Chandler took over the position of Community Resource Officer (formerly known as Community Liaison Officer), working closely with myself and the Ward 6 team to resolve community issues. He will occasionally provide us with updates and/or information from a policing perspective. Following are Constable Chandler’s suggestions:
Keep it locked: In Calgary during 2013 there were 2360 reported break and enters. Of those, 48.5% entry was gained through an unlocked door and 24.1% entry was gained through an unlocked window. A further 7.3% was with the use of a garage remote and 9.7% using a key. This trend of criminals targeting unsecured premises is not limited to houses; of all the property thefts from vehicles, the majority of these are unlocked vehicles. The message is a simple one, ‘keep it locked’.
- Ensure vehicles are locked when parked on the driveway or in the garage.
- Remove all valuables from your vehicle.
- Although garage remote openers are designed to sit on the car’s sun visor, I suggest keepingyour remote in your purse or bag versus leaving it in the vehicle.
- Lock the interior main door to your garage.
- Remove significantly valuable items from your garage, or ensure that they are locked away and bicycles are chained to a fixed point.
- Review exterior lighting. Criminals committing property crime do not like to be seen.
To receive crime alert messaging, please refer to The Hub messaging system. The Hub messaging system is available to community members who work or live in Calgary or within the Calgary local calling area. Deliverable via Phone, Text and Email, it distributes a variety of messages - including neighborhood crime alerts, relevant emergency incidents information, amber alerts and missing person alerts. The Hub
Please do not hesitate to contact Constable Chandler to discuss any police related community matter. He can be reached at 403-567-6200 or email@example.com.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.