I wanted to tell you about some valuable programs and upcoming events The City of Calgary Transportation Planning Department offer citizens and employers to decrease congestion and increase mobility! A strong integrated mobility system supports a healthy vibrant community and drives positive economic development. The City of Calgary is a leader in the community with programs that support employee mobility choices through high-quality commuter and business travel options by working with businesses and building managers in Calgary to develop trip reduction programs through their Employer Mobility Programs. Some of the options the trip reduction program offers employers include: baseline commuter survey and workplace audit, customized commuting plan, and coordination of an employee travel-options fair.
Varied start and end times outside of peak hours can have a significant impact on quality of life. There are several work options including flex-time, compressed work week, telework and WORKshift. Please visit www.calgary.ca/gettingaroundcalgary for all the information you need regarding travel options, work options, programs and partnerships as well as tools and resources, for example a ‘compare the cost of your commute’ calculator. This website provides Calgarians and visitors with critical travel information on how to get around Calgary.
In addition to the City’s ongoing Active Transportation initiatives, watch out for the following initiatives this year:
• Growing participation in the Annual Bike to School Day, happening this week on May 4th, with more than 8,000 students at 100 public and separate schools participating,
• Promoting the Calgary Commuter Challenge (June 5 - 11, 2016), a week-long friendly competition where members participate alongside schools, institutions and workplaces to promote healthy transportation choices,
• Guiding and supporting a regional Commuter Connect, Calgary Regional Airshed Zone (CRAZ), workbook for employers launching in 2016,
• Developing a new Commuter Resource Information Kit launching in 2016,
• Encouraging carpooling by registering with carpool.ca to find your match,
• Supporting and cross-promoting WORKshift with Calgary Economic Development.
Visit www.calgary.ca/gettingaroundcalgary for travel options, work options, programs & partnerships, tools and resources.