Clearwater Legacy Park Development
Just off West Glenmore Trail SW along the north side of the Elbow River just beyond the city's western limits at the Lott Creek turn-off is 160 acres of virtually untouched pristine land, the future location of Clearwater Legacy Park. The area on the south bank of the Elbow River, Clearwater Tipi Park, is currently only available by reservation for youth group camping, but once developed it will provide a unique green space for all Calgarians to enjoy. The City, with support from the ENMAX Legacy Parks Program, is planning to turn this area into a regional park that offers more features and is accessible to all.
The City is currently in negotiations with the Province as they would like to buy some of the land for construction of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road. In 2011 and 2012, The City held public engagement to help develop a vision for the park to use in negotiations with the province.
The engagement process along with a biophysical inventory and assessment, and analysis of current conditions and future needs of the region drove the creation of the Clearwater Park Development Plan. The plan reflects the vision for the park:
“Clearwater Park is a unique legacy park, representing the nature and culture of the lands surrounding Calgary. It is an oasis, focusing on nature conservation and environmental education. The site is a jewel that protects what is precious; land, air, water, and natural areas. The park is connected to the regional trail system.”
The Preferred Concept Plan outlines key features of the future park including:
- A signed entry road leading to pockets of parking and a drop-off area.
- Major new features such as a washroom building, large and small picnic shelters, enhanced campsite area with yurts in place of tipis, and a wetland feature.
- Enhanced links to regional pathway system and improved trail network including boardwalks and viewing platforms adjacent to the wetland.
- Creating a connection for Clearwater Park and Griffiths Woods Park will provide citizens with more options which may alleviate some use pressures at Griffiths Woods Park.
- City Administration is due to report to the Community and Protective Services Standing Policy Committee no later than June 2016 with further details about the design and funding.
- Construction plans and timelines would follow once the project has been approved.
- More details and the Park Concept Plan can be viewed on calgary.ca, search for Clearwater Legacy Park development.
- We are in discussions with the Province about the Elbow Valley Wetland and the wetland proposed for Clearwater Park.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.