March 10, 2017
Water Services would like to share information on an upcoming project to upgrade the storm drainage system in your neighbourhood. The City of Calgary conducted a city wide evaluation of developed communities and the Christie Park neighbourhood was selected as one of the targeted areas for drainage modification.
During the work, The City will:
- Make local drainage improvements on Christie Park View S.W.;
- Improve the dry pond between Strathearn Crescent SW and Sarcee Trail; and
- Install an Oil and Grit Separator (OGS) in the same area.
Local drainage improvements in Christie Park View SW
Improvements include installing a 70 metre long, 2400 X 1800 mm diameter concrete box as an underground storage chamber in Christie Park View SW. This replaces the existing 300 mm diameter storm sewer.
Improving the dry pond between Strathearn Crescent SW and Sarcee Trail
The dry pond surface area will need to be enlarged by approximately 36 per cent and the dry pond bottom will need to be lowered two metres in order to minimize potential flooding.
Oil and Grit Separator (OGS)
An OGS is an underground pre-cast concrete structure that captures sediment, screens debris and separates oil from storm water runoff and snowmelt. An OGS improves downstream water quality by preventing contaminants and sediments from entering our streams and rivers through the storm drainage network. It also reduces the chance of flooding in your area due to sediment buildup and backups in the pipes, An OGS can also extend the life of a storm pond, eliminating costly pond dredging and accompanying construction.
Map 1: Local drainage improvements in Christie Park View SW
Construction impacts for this project will include:
- Christie Park View SW will be closed during the six weeks of construction. Parking will be made available in the area for residents (see map 1 for details on how construction will affect certain areas of the neighbourhood).
- During the dry pond improvements, a water valve will be installed in Strathearn Crescent SW and the water service will be disrupted for 30 units in Strathearn Crescent SW for an anticipated period of one day (see map 2). Notice will be provided to residents prior to this work.
- 26 trees will be removed, yet be replaced by 400 plants on site.
- During the dry pond improvements, the pathways will be closed in the area and a pathway detour will be implemented. For more information, please see pathway detours and closures: http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Pathways/Pathway-closures.aspx
- Construction noise will be restricted to during work hours (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.).
- Potential for one southbound lane of exit of Sarcee Trail to 17 Ave SW will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday to Friday while construction takes place. One lane will remain open.
- Local drainage improvements on Christie Park View S.W. will take approximately six (6) weeks.
- Dry pond improvement between Strathearn Crescent SW and Sarcee Trail will take approximately three (3) months.
- Installing an Oil and Grit Separator (OGS) will take three approximately (3) months.
Map 2: Impacted areas due to dry pond improvement and installation of Oil and Grit Separator
To sign up for The Ward 6 Report sent directly to your inbox, click here.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.