The Government of Alberta is moving ahead with the Southwest Calgary Ring Road (SWCRR) which is expected to be open in fall 2021 with construction starting in Quarter 3 of 2016. This includes the expansion of Highway 8 from the 69 Street SW Interchange to Lott Creek, which was originally part of the West Calgary Ring Road (WCRR). The SWCRR project involves reconstruction of Glenmore Trail from Sarcee Trail to east of 37 Street.
The project includes;
• 31 km of six and eight lane divided highway,
• 14 interchanges,
• one road flyover,
• one railway crossing (flyover), and
• three river crossings over the Elbow River and Fish Creek.
The Southwest portion of the Calgary Ring Road will affect many Ward 6 residents. I encourage you to come out to an information session being held this Thursday, October 29th from 5-8 p.m. in the front foyer at Bethany Chapel (3333 Richardson Way SW).
At this information session, Alberta Transportation will join City of Calgary staff to update you about;
• Progress update on designs for connections from Calgary’s roads,
• Recommendations for changes to the neighbouring streets and intersections, based on the Council-directed Traffic Review.
You can review Alberta Transportations project page for updated maps which detail 14 new interchanges. You will also learn about the Southwest Transitway project and the 37 Street SW Storm Trunk Relocation project.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.