“Aaah, summer - that long anticipated stretch of lazy, lingering days, free of responsibility and rife with possibility. It's a time to hunt for insects, master handstands, practice swimming strokes, conquer trees, explore nooks and crannies, and make new friends.” Darell Hammond
Calgary is chock full of fun places to explore and events to experience, many in Ward 7. Sample all that our city has to offer this summer by checking out some of the following:
• Dalhousie’s summer day camps for kids can be found at DalhousieCalgary.ca – everything from “The Amazing Race” to jungle running!
• Beat the heat and visit one of Ward 7’s Outdoor Pools - Highwood, Mount Pleasant, or Bowview in West Hillhurst. Kids will enjoy the wading pools at Eau Claire Plaza and Riley Park, and spray parks at Eau Claire Plaza, Canmore Park in Triwood, and Rotary Park in Crescent Heights.
• Explore nature in Brentwood’s Whispering Woods, a reclaimed prairie ecosystem that provides interpretive panels, original art and poetry by community members, and Thursday Summer Bees & Potlucks. Learn more at Natureground.org.
• Buy local produce at one of our Farmers’ Markets: Parkdale on Sundays 11am-3pm, Hillhurst Sunnyside on Wednesdays 3pm-7pm and Saturdays 9:30am-1:30pm.
• East Village offers everything from yoga classes and art instruction to food trucks and “Seniors Social in the Square” gatherings – learn more at EVExperience.com, and watch for the soon-to-open St. Patrick’s Island for nature lovers and urban explorers alike.
• While the nation-wide phenomena “Slide the City” sold out early in Calgary, hopefully a few of you were able to register. Come out to watch your madcap friends!
• Join the “Pop-Up” culture – there are pop-up patios, pop-up picnics, pop-up arts events and pop-up parks sprinkling our City this summer.
And finally, check out your local community association’s website for many more opportunities like running classes, community gardens, neighbour events, and recreation facilities. Summer is a perfect time to get to know your neighbourhood. We’d love to see your photos – please share them on my Facebook page. Happy exploring!
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.