It is that time of year when we gather-round the kitchen table to spend time with friends and family. We will reflect on good fortune and happy times, as well as look forward to an even better 2017.
Sadly, not all of our neighbours will be as fortunate this holiday season. Whether due to the recession, loneliness, poor health, or other challenges, many Calgarians could use a kind word and a helping hand. While many live through difficult circumstances year-round, the holidays are an ideal time for us to share our generosity and kindness. Here are just a few of the ways we can help:
• Call 211 (online at www.ab.211.ca) when you see someone in need. Here you can access a wide-variety of social programs and services.
• Make a donation to a non-profit in your community. For information on charities and their finances, visit cra-arc.gc.ca/charitiesandgiving.
• Volunteer! The possibilities are endless. From reading to children to visiting seniors’ centres, call 211 to connect to volunteer opportunities, or create your own.
• Start a conversation about poverty. To learn more about poverty in Calgary, visit enoughforall.ca.
• Learn what it feels like to live in poverty by trying to Make the Month. www.makethemonth.ca is an interactive poverty simulation that shows how Canadians living in poverty face choices that will make or break their monthly budgets.
There are also easy ways we can help our neighbours on a regular basis in the winter months. A great example is becoming a Snow Angel. Watch for people in your neighbourhood who could use help shovelling snow and lend them a hand. To learn more about being a Snow Angel, or to recognize a neighbour’s good deeds, visit calgary.ca/snowangels.
From the Ward 7 family to yours, we hope all Calgarians can enjoy a happy and compassionate holiday season.
To sign up for updates on key community and Ward 7 issues, please subscribe to our mailing list. To contact the office, please email Ward07@Calgary.ca.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.