This year the Planning, Development and Assessment Department put out The City of Calgary Snapshot: Wards by the Numbers, providing a snapshot of all the development activity around the city for the year. Ward 7 leads all other wards in the number of subdivision applications, land use applications, and residential development permits. These numbers reflect how desirable Ward 7 neighbourhoods have become, as well as provide insight into the amount of development pressure on the community. It also means that our office is always busy!
Here’s what else the Snapshot has to say about Ward 7:
- Lots of projects on the go! The Centre Street Bridge Lighting project was completed, work on the Parkdale activity centre continues, East Village and Downtown are booming, and planning of the North Central LRT Corridor Study is officially underway.
- Although the total area of land use applications was only about 1% of the city-wide total at 6.13 hectares, Ward 7 has the highest number of residential development permits (15.5% of the City’s total).
- Ward 7 is densifying: In 2012, we had the largest number of subdivision applications (136 applications= 290 new parcels), with most of these subdivisions in Mount Pleasant, West Hillhurst, Banff Trail, and Capitol Hill.
- 393 new business licenses were issued for Ward 7 in 2012, in addition to 2327 renewals. Activity dropped in some Ward 7 neighbourhoods: the Downtown Commercial Core, Crescent Heights, and Hillhurst.
- Development complaints: residents of Ward 7 submitted 274 official complaints regarding development projects. Most of these complaints came from citizens in Mount Pleasant and Dalhousie.
If you have any questions about these statistics or anything else regarding Development and Building Approvals, please let us know at 403-268-2430 or email@example.com.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.