In 2010, the Late Night Taxi Stand signs started popping up in Calgary’s busiest nightlife spots, designed to cluster waiting taxis for bar patrons who wanted to end their evening responsibly.
This program was a group effort between the City of Calgary, Calgary Police Service, the business community, and the local taxi industry to improve safety for customers getting in and out of taxis by providing a safe space for taxis to pull over. Another goal was to reduce the number of taxis double-parked in the middle of congested streets. The original signs were a bit confusing, so the signage was improved to make the taxi zones clearer.
The Late Night Taxi Stand program operates every Thursday, Friday and Saturday between the hours of 10 p.m. and 3 a.m.
Late Night Taxi Stands are located at:
- 10th Ave between 1st and 2nd St (Vinyl Retro Dance Lounge)
- 10th Ave between 2nd and 3rd St (The Mansion, Craft and Whiskey)
- 11th Ave and 5th St (The Rhino )
• 12th Ave and 5th St (Hudson’s)
- 17th Ave between 4th and 5th St (Local 510, Ship and Anchor and the National)
- 17th Ave at 7th Street (Melrose)
- 16th Ave between 7th and 8th St (Metropolitan Grill)
- 17th Ave between 12th and 14th St (Morgan’s Pub)
- 4th St between 24th and 25th Ave (Wurst Restaurant and Beer Hall) – NEW STAND
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.