Photo courtesy of JohnBentley.ca
Legalized secondary suites provide benefits to both home owners and renters, if done properly. Other Canadian cities have successfully implemented a similar policy on secondary suites with no sharp increase in the number of applications for a secondary suite.
Legalizing secondary suites offers the following benefits to homeowners:
- Provides some mortgage assistance to new home buyers.
- Allows existing homeowners a way to supplement mortgage payments and operating costs.
- Enables seniors on a fixed income to age in place.
Legalizing secondary suites offers the following benefits to renters:
- Increases affordable housing options without the need for government subsidies
- Provides safe accommodations that meet building and safety codes.
Issues that need to be addressed:
- Absentee landlords who do not maintain the property in adherence with the community's standards and The City's bylaws.
- Renters occupying all of the available on-street parking. This can be addressed through parking permits, and reviewing the parking situation prior to legalizing secondary suites.
- Tracking homes with legalized suites, and ensuring the conditions under which the suite was legalized are maintained (i.e. owner occupation remains after a sale). This can be addressed in a number of different ways, and needs further investigation.
- Enforcement of bylaw adherence and inspections by City officers. Ideally with legalized suites, there will be less need for bylaw services to address issues related to illegal suites, so that resources can be redirected appropriately.
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.