Share this page Print

Ward 8 news: Neighbourhood traffic safety

  • Share

Ward 8 official website Many of the phone calls, emails and letters I receive in the Ward 8 office are about road safety and traffic.

To answer resident questions, I often turn to other City departments and the Calgary Police Service (CPS) for help and information.  For example, if a resident is concerned about driver behaviour (such as speeding or not stopping at intersections), my staff and I contact the neighbourhood’s Community Resource Officer (CRO) for assistance. The CRO ensures that the other officers are aware of the concerns, and try to increase enforcement where possible. The CRO also gathers documented complaints, reports made through the non-emergency CPS line, and collision data in order to determine where an officer’s presence is needed the most.

If a resident is concerned about traffic on local streets, I work with the Transportation Department and refer to the Traffic Calming Policy to look for answers. The Traffic Calming Policy helps the Transportation Department to determine the right solution, for the right place in order to ensure that no new problems are created in the process.

While my office can help coordinate residents’ concerns, I also encourage you to call 311.  For example, requesting a community traffic or warrant study, or reporting community traffic concerns can all be done by calling 311 or submitting a request online.  If you witness dangerous driver behaviour, you should always report this to the non-emergency CPS line at 403-266-1234 or 911 if it poses as an immediate threat to safety.

This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Ward Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.

Access City Services

For non-emergency service


311 connects citizens with non-emergency services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Download the app

Available for iPhone in App Store and Android in Google Play store.

Request service online

Submit a request

For City news and information search and follow the City on social media.