FALL SESSION NOW OPEN
You can now apply for the Fall session of the Citizen’s Police Academy, which begins on September 14, 2016.
The Citizen's Police Academy is a Calgary Police Service (CPS) initiative that encourages citizens to learn more about their municipal police service. The Academy is hosted by civilian volunteers, CPS civilian employees and police officers.
What is the purpose of the Academy?
The Citizen’s Police Academy aims to increase citizens understanding of the CPS, its role, daily operations, police limitations and powers through:
- Presentations, followed by open discussions with police officers, CPS volunteers and various representatives from specialty units.
- Hosted tours of Calgary police facilities.
These presentations provide insight into the diverse nature of policing in Calgary from the various units across CPS.
At the conclusion of the program participants will receive a certificate showing that they have completed the courses.
For those interested in learning more about policing as a possible profession this program could be helpful. Those may benefit from the insight if unsure if policing is for them however the Citizens Police Academy is not used in the CPS recruiting and selection process. Please refer to the Calgary Police Service recruiting page for more information.
How do I apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and be able to successfully pass a Security Clearance Check.
To apply for the Academy applicants must:
- Visit the Calgary Police Service Headquarters, located at 5111 47 St. N.E. You will need to check in at the Information Desk to get in line for the Police Information Check Unit.
- Show two pieces of government-issued identification (one of which must have a photo) at the Police Information Check Unit service desk with a completedEnhanced Security Declaration form. You can also ask for a Police Information Check – Citizens’ Police Academy Application and fill it out at the service desk (there is no charge to apply for this security clearance).
- CPS staff will process the security clearance and contact you if you are successfully enrolled in the Citizens Police Academy.
- Current volunteers with the Calgary Police Service who wish to participate need only to call the Chief Crowfoot Learning Centre.
Please note: Applicants must complete this Security Clearance Check even if they hold an existing/current Security Clearance issued by the CPS or any other agency. Due to this unique program offered by the CPS, the sensitive nature of its content and the secure area in which the program is held, a higher level of security must be met.
The Academy is free of charge and runs twice a year, usually the fall and winter. It is a progressive course that runs for a 12-week period and weekly on Wednesday evenings for about three hours.
Calgary Police Service’s Westwinds Campus
5111 47 St. N.E., Calgary, AB
For additional information please call
Chief Crowfoot Learning Centre