The Auto Theft Unit investigates incidents where motor vehicles are stolen for profit (i.e. revinning/cloning, shipping of stolen motor vehicles overseas and chop shops).
- Monitors auto theft trends in the city and offers advice, direction and investigative support to officers in the field.
- Oversees a fleet of bait vehicles Bait Car campaign and is responsible for the training of district personnel in bait vehicle operations.
- Has expertise in identifying motor vehicles using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), locating confidential secondary numbers and providing expert testimony in court.
- Serves as liaisons with new and used car dealerships, salvage yards, insurance companies, and other law enforcement agencies.
High Enforcement Auto Theft Team (HEATT)
The Team operates within the Auto Theft Unit and is mandated to incorporate enforcement and investigative strategies to reduce motor vehicle theft.
This is achieved through:
- Progressive and innovative investigative strategies.
- Community involvement.
- Targeting identified high theft areas or known offenders who have been identified by intelligence lead policing methods.