Reasons why motor vehicles are stolen
- Theft for transportation: Thieves steal a motor vehicle to get from one destination to another and then abandon the vehicle.
- For use in crimes: To use the motor vehicle in other crimes such as break and enters and robberies.
- For profit: Thieves will alter the VIN of the stolen motor vehicle and then either drive the vehicle themselves or sell the vehicle to an unsuspecting consumer.
- For vehicle parts: Thieves may have a similar vehicle that they want to upgrade or repair damaged parts. They may also try and sell the vehicle parts on internet sites.
How to prevent auto theft
- Do not leave your motor vehicle running while it is unattended and the key is in the ignition.
- Lock up your vehicle; close the windows and sunroof when the vehicle will be unattended to. If you park your vehicle in a garage, make sure the overhead garage door and pedestrian door are locked as well. Do not leave a spare key hidden inside the vehicle.
- Consider installing an aftermarket car alarm if your vehicle is not already equipped with one.
- Be aware of where you park. Well lit parking lots and streets with lots of vehicular and pedestrian traffic will help to deter car thieves.
- Do not leave items in plain view in your vehicle. This includes parcels, cell phones, GPS devices, laptops, clothing or money.
Top ten stolen vehicles in Calgary for 2011:
- Ford trucks
- Dodge trucks
- GMC trucks
- Dodge Caravan
- Chevrolet trucks
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Dodge Neon
- Jeep Cherokee
- Acura Integra
In 2011, there were more than 3,300 motor vehicles, recreational vehicles and trailers reported stolen to the Calgary Police Service. Of these, 85 per cent have been recovered and returned to the registered owner or insurance company.