Crime prevention in the workplace can be looked at from the perspective of both building safety, and personal safety. Employers and employees should take all steps necessary to maintain a safe working environment. Following these tips may help to accomplish this.
If you witness a crime or are involved in an emergency situation, please contact 9-1-1 immediately.
Ensure your building is safe by taking these steps:
- Replace burnt out light bulbs
- Cover lights so they can not be damaged or removed (interior and exterior).
- Have dumpsters moved from immediately adjacent to buildings. They attract undesirable activity and also provide easier access to the roof of the building.
- Block off open or unused alcoves to deter negative activity from taking place.
- Move light switches in hallways to secure areas so they can not be accessed by unauthorized users.
Harassment in the workplace
Harassment in the workplace occurs when someone is subjected to unwelcome verbal or physical conduct.
Ensure your workplace is safe by:
- Reporting harassment to a supervisor.
- Familiarize yourself with any company policy pertaining to positive workplace.
- Be aware of the atmosphere in the workplace. Do your best to contribute in a positive manner.