Share this page Print

Domestic violence

The Calgary Police Service aims to reduce incidents of domestic conflict by providing an effective and sensitive response to the needs of the victims.

Reporting domestic violence

If you're involved in an emergency situation, please call 9-1-1 immediately. Otherwise, call the Police non-emergency line at 403-266-1234​.

Our investigators are responsible for following up the incident, interviewing the complainant and assessing the person's level of risk. We also help the complainant navigate the legal system - often laying additional charges - and connect the victim with support services within the community. If the person is at risk, we may move victims to a shelter or provide safety planning and other options.

We also investigates all high-risk, habitual stalking offences, especially where there was a previous interpersonal relationship. Police investigations are held in the strictest of confidentiality and the only way this information is given out is because the victim has done so.

If you're a victim, please see our resources for victims of domestic violence​. Please note that these resources are available to both men and women, as well as same-sex partnerships. ​Please see our domestic violence frequently asked questions​ for more information on this crime.

Protection and restraining orders

There are two types of orders available for those requiring protection against family violence.

Emergency Protection Order

An Emergency Protection Order (EPO) is where a police officer can apply to the courts where there is reasonable belief that family violence may occur. Complainant's consent is required for the police to apply for this order.

  • An EPO is an order that police obtain from the court to provide immediate protection to an abused family member. It is only available in emergency situations when action is required for the protection of the person making the claim.
  • A review of this order will be within nine working days by the Court of Queen’s Bench Justice where the QB Justice can grant the order for up to one year.
  • A person can apply for an EPO without letting the abuser know about the application (this makes it different from a Queen’s Bench Protection Order).
  • The application can be made by telephone or in person at any hour (24-hours per day, seven days per week.
  • In Calgary the police usually make the application.

An Emergency Protection Order can, amongst other things, require that an abusive family member temporarily leave the home, not contact other family members, not come near a location and give up any weapons. If the order is granted without the other person being present, a copy of the order must be served on that person as soon as possible by the police. Victims of domestic abuse can contact a lawyer free of charge through Calgary Legal Guidance or during business hours the Family Law Office at 403-297-6380.

Restraining order

A restraining order is granted by the civil courts. It is very similar to an EPO, except police cannot apply for it or be involved in any matter. Police only have the powers to deal with criminal matters and not civil matters. There is no criminal offence for breaching a restraining order. This is why EPOs where developed.