Numerous reports from the public have stated that they have been "locked out" of their computers after receiving pop-up messages, warning them their computer has been associated with child pornography or similar. These warning messages, which claim to be from the RCMP or CSIS, tells the recipient to pay $100.00 via Ukash so their computer can be "unlocked".
If you receive one of these messages, please be aware it is a scam. If you’ve been "locked out" of your computer, it's an indicator that your system may have been infected with malware and you will need to take steps to address the problem.
Tips to protect yourself:
- Never click on a pop up that claims your computer has a virus
- Update your anti-virus software often and scan your computer for viruses regularly
- Don’t click on links or attachments in e-mails sent to you by someone you don’t know
- Turn on your browser’s pop-up blocking feature
- Never download anti-virus software from a pop-up or link sent to you in an e-mail
- Contact an IT specialist to assist with making your computer safe.
For more information about this and other scams visit http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/recognizeit.html