Share this page Print

Reporting sexual assault

You can report a sexual assault in three ways. To help the police gather evidence, do not:

  • shower or bathe;
  • change or throw away your clothes;
  • wash your hands or comb your hair;
  • take any drugs or alcohol;
  • disturb the area of the assault.

Please note that you can call the police at any time - it's never too late to get the police involved. However, the sooner you alert them, the easier it is for them to collect the evidence needed to lay charges or proceed with an invesitgation.

How to report a sexual assault

You have three options for reporting sexual assault.

If you see a sexual assault in progress call 9-1-1

You can also call the Police Non-Emergency line at 403-266-1234 and officers will be sent to investigate no matter when the offence occurred. Depending on the circumstances, an investigator from the Sex Crimes Unit may complete the investigation.

Go to a police station

You may also report a sexual assault by going to a police station or community station. Depending on the nature and time the sexual assault occurred you may be asked to attend the hospital with the police or you may be asked to write out a statement at the police station. In either case a police officer will begin a criminal investigation. It is important to keep the statement and file number for your reference.

Go to the hospital

If you have been sexually assaulted within the past 72 hours, attend the Sheldon M. Chumir Health Center (age 14 and up) or the Alberta Children’s Hospital (age 13 and younger.) If you attend the Sheldon M. Chumir Health Center tell the Urgent Care nurse you have been sexually assaulted and you will be treated by medical staff from the CSART (Calgary Sexual Assault Response Team). CSART will attend to your medical and emotional needs. CSART does not automatically report the assault to the police.

You can choose whether you want the police to get involved:

  • If you do not want police involved, the medical staff will assess your injuries, treat your medical needs and test for sexually transmitted infections.
  • If you decide to report the assault to police, you will still receive the medical attention required and CSART will call the police for you. Part of your medical care may involve collecting evidence from your body (a 'sexual assault kit') to give to police, and a police investigator will follow up with your case.
  • You can decide whether you want police involved at a later date and receive medical and emotional care while having a sexual assault kit completed. This kit remains the property of Calgary Communities Against Sexual Abuse for up to one year. At any time prior to the end of the one year, you may consent to release the kit to police to begin a criminal investigation, or you may decide to have the evidence destroyed. These details will be explained to you at the hospital.