Camping is a great way to enjoy the great outdoors, but please be safe when you head out into the wilderness. These tips will help - travellers should also check out safety tips for travellers and road trip safety.
Camping safety tips
- Avoid camping alone in isolated areas.
- Park your vehicle so it cannot be blocked by another vehicle in case of an emergency.
- Mark all your belongings and camping equipment with your driver's license number and keep a record of equipment.
- Mark your tent, sleeping bags and clothing with indelible ink.
- Engrave your footlocker, thermos, coolers, lamps and flashlights, fishing gear, backpacks, barbecue grills, etc.
- Familiarize yourself with local emergency locations and phone numbers in case of accidents or crimes.
- Avoid leaving your camping gear (cook stove, ice chest, chairs, etc.) out in the open unattended.
- Get to know your neighbors and help protect each other's belongings.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Carry a spare lock so you can use storage containers available at many parks.
- Use a chain and lock to secure propane tanks, portable generators, spare tires, bicycles, etc.
- Always lock your camping trailer when you leave the vicinity.
- Install a locking device on the trailer-towing hitch, so your trailer cannot be towed away.
- Report any suspicious activities and all crimes to the proper authorities.