Safety Tips for Taxi Drivers
The City of Calgary urges taxi drivers to practice the following safety tips:
- Always keep windows rolled up – open them just enough to talk to people;
- Always keep doors locked, particularly if stopped at a taxi stand or post. This will also prevent someone from entering the taxi while you're stopped at a stop sign or traffic light
- Avoid poorly lit parking areas;
- Avoid being blocked into dead-end streets, alleys and laneways. If you must go in, enter in reverse; and
- Encourage passengers to sit on the right side of the rear seat.
The Calgary Police Service Crime Prevention Team is now delivering safety presentations as part of the Taxi Driver Training Program. If you have attended this program and would like a copy of the presentation or have further questions, call 403-428-8399.
Safety Tips for Taxi Customers
The Taxi and Limousine Advisory Committee (TLAC) works with taxi companies all year to ensure public safety and quality service.
Getting a cab
Tired of calling? Contact a cab company using an app:
Don’t hang up! If you do phone a cab company and get put on hold, stay on the line for faster service.
Whenever you get into a taxi:
- take note of the cab number
- take note of the cab company name.
Either memorize the information, take a photo or make a note of the number in your cell phone. Knowing these numbers will help you track down lost items and deal with any problems.
Taxi Complaints and Concerns
If you have a compliment or concern related to taxis or limousines contact us through 311:
Taxi Compliments and Concerns