Victims of robbery may suffer more than the loss of property. You may feel personally violated and have feelings of fear and anger as a result of being assaulted, threatened or intimidated during the robbery. Robbery is a criminal act, so the complexities of the criminal justice system and media attention can cause additional stress. The Victim Assistance Support Team is here to assist you through this challenging time.
Counselling resources for adults
The Distress Center
24-hour crisis line: 403-266-HELP (4357)
- 24-hour information and support.
- Access to free counseling services for individuals, groups and families.
Calgary Counselling Centre
Telephone: 403-691-5991 (business hours)
- Long term counseling for individuals, families or couples.
Eastside Family Counseling Centre
24-hour crisis line: 403-269-9699
Address: 255, 495 36 St. N.E., Northgate Mall
- No fee - immediate walk-in counseling for youth, individuals and families
- Monday to Thursday 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association
- Professional, culturally-sensitive counselling for immigrant women and their families who are experiencing transition challenges, relationship problems, abuse and trauma.
Calgary Seniors' Resource Society - Senior Connect
24-hour seniors' help line: 403-264-7700
- Helps seniors who might be at risk to connect to community support services that help them to live safely and independently in their homes.
Counselling resources for children and youth
Kids Help Phone
24-hour crisis line: 1-800-688-6868
- 24-hour online and counseling available for those 5-20 years old.
24-hour crisis line: 1-403-264-8336 (TEEN)
- 24-hour information and support for teens.
- Peer support 5 - 10 p.m. daily, online or over the phone.
Sherriff King- Safety Planning
24-hour crisis line: 403-266-0707
Police and Community Awareness Program (PCAP)
- Alerts residents in Calgary and surrounding rural areas to important situations such as criminal acts occurring in their area.
Alberta Solicitor General and Public Security: Crime Prevention
Calgary Police Crime Prevention Team
- Crime mapping is available on the CPS homepage. Shows crime data within the last six months in every community of Calgary.
Calgary Seniors' Resource Society
Resources for court appearances
Victim Assistance Support Team Court Support Program
- Providing information on the criminal justice system; court updates; court orientation and court accompaniment for families of homicide victims, as well as witnesses subpoenaed to testify at preliminary hearings or trial.
Child Witness Court Preparation Court Program
- Providing tools and resources to help children and teens prepare for their day in court.
Calgary Crown Prosecutor’s Office - Public Assistance Unit
Telephone: 403-297-3912 / 403-297-3913
- Providing information on court proceedings to victims and witnesses during the Criminal Justice process. We liaise between the witnesses and the crown prosecutors as they are unable to communicate directly.