The City of Calgary offers contests throughout the year, as well as opportunities to recognize citizens for their accomplishments and contributions through awards. Check back often for new contests and consider applying or nominating a citizen for an award.
YYCPhoto: Got a great shot of Calgary? Show the world and your fellow Calgarians how beautiful our city is by joining the YYCPhoto Flickr group and submitting your best Calgary images to us.
Calgary Awards: The City of Calgary established Calgary Awards to celebrate and recognize outstanding achievements and contributions made by Calgarians. The program has 5 major categories and 17 awards:
- Environmental Achievement Awards: There are 5 awards in this category which recognizes environmental achievements in advanced technology, management, conservation, protection, enhancement, education, stewardship and promotion of the city’s environment.
- Community Achievement Awards: The Community Achievement Awards recognize outstanding contributions to and achievement in community life.
- Signature Award: This award recognizes an exceptional person whose personal and/or professional activities have gained international acclaim and has contributed to the quality of life in Calgary or brought significant recognition to Calgary.
- Award for Accessibility: The Award for Accessibility recognizes buildings or facilities in Calgary that have significantly exceed the minimum requirements of Section 3.8 of the Alberta Building Code for accessibility by persons with disabilities.
- The City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Book Prize: The award recognizes the literary achievement by Calgary authors in honour of renowned Calgary writer W.O. Mitchell.
Mayor’s Urban Design Awards: The Mayor’s Urban Design Awards (MUDA) are biennial awards that acknowledge the important contribution that designers, architects and artists make in improving the quality of life in our city.
Fire Cadet Awards and Scholarships: When Fire Cadets graduate each June, their achievements as individuals and as a class are celebrated. Each year, awards and scholarships are awarded to graduating Fire Cadets.
Calgary Heritage Authority Lion Awards: The Calgary Heritage Authority Lion Awards recognizes citizens and groups who have undertaken initiatives, of any scale, in support of heritage conservation in Calgary.
Chief David Crowchild Memorial Award: Each year the Calgary Aboriginal Urban Affairs Committee (CAUAC) honours a person, or group of individuals both Aboriginal and non Aboriginal who meet the criteria.