Share this page Print

Property tax - frequently asked questions

Do you have questions about your property taxes? Read our frequently asked questions below.


Property tax

Where do my property tax dollars go?

The funds collected through property tax are generally split between the Alberta Government and The City. In 2016, about 60 per cent of all residential property taxes went towards City services while about 40 per cent were sent to the Government of Alberta.

City Council sets the annual budget needed to pay for services that benefit all Calgarians.

The City budget is paid from property taxes, plus other sources including business taxes, license fees, provincial grants and user fees like transit fares.

Your property taxes support services like police, fire protection, garbage collection, transit, parks, recreation, social services and more.

See where your tax dollars went in 2016 using the tax breakdown tool

What is the 2017 property tax rate?

City Council sets the property tax rate based on many factors, including citizen priorities and the level of satisfaction with City services.

For 2017, Council reduced the property tax rate increase to 1.5% which will be covered through a one-time rebate to property owners.

View current and historial property tax rates.

Learn how The City determines the property tax rate

Will I pay the same amount of property taxes in 2017 as I did in 2016?

It depends.

Council reduced the 2017 property tax increase to 1.5% (from 4.7%) and will be covering that increase with a one-time rebate. Additionally, the Province’s share of property tax was lower than The City expected. This created what is commonly called tax room in the amount $23.7 million. Council agreed to keep the tax room and to rebate the 2017 tax room as a one-time return to taxpayers.

As a result, a residential property valued at $460,000 can expect to see rebates totaling $51.00 on their 2017 property tax bill.

Your property taxes could still go up or down if there was a change in your assessment relative the municipal average. What's important is how your property value changes compared to the municipal average.

Properties that changed in value at a greater rate than the average will see an increase in taxes. Properties values that changed below the average rate will see a decrease in taxes.

What is The City doing to help non-residential property owners facing large tax increases due to large shifts in market value?

The 2017 Municipal Non-Residential Phased Tax Program (PTP) is a one-year program that was put in place to assist non-residential properties impacted by large shifts in market value in 2017. Under the PTP, non-residential municipal tax increases will be limited to five per cent (not including the effects of business tax consolidation or any provincial tax increase).

Approximately 6,000 non-residential property owners will benefit from this program with the expectation that the benefits will be passed on to individual businesses/tenants (in the form of less money in rent, lease payments, etc.).

Learn more about the Non-Residential Phased Tax Program.

Council caps tax increase for non-residential property owners

How does my assessment affect my property taxes?

Your property assessment is used to determine your share of taxes, relative to all properties in Calgary, to meet The City's budget needs.

Once Council has set the tax rate, your assessment is then multiplied by the tax rate and the result is your share of property tax shown on your tax bill.

Assessments are based on the fair market value of your property last July 1. Real estate data on all properties sold in Calgary in the previous three years are analyzed. Your individual assessment comes from the analysis of sold properties in your neighbourhood that are very similar to yours.

Your property tax can change from year to year if your property’s assessed value increases or decreases greater than the change in the overall assessment base or if additional revenue is needed by The City to provide services.

You can search for your current property assessment using Assessment Search.

Learn how your property is assessed.

What if I'm having problems paying my taxes?

If you are a residential property owner experiencing financial hardship there are a number of programs offering assistance. Under The City’s Property Tax Assistance Program, residential property owners of any age may be eligible for a credit/grant. You can find more information at, Fair Entry or contacting 311.

For information on programs for seniors such as the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program, contact the Government of Alberta at 310-0000.

Tax bill

When do I get my tax bill?

Property tax bills are mailed in May and cover the calendar year Jan. 1 – Dec. 31. Property tax bills and account information are not available online.

Property owners who have not received a tax bill by the first week of June can request a copy of the bill. Property taxes must be paid by June 30 to avoid a seven per cent late payment penalty.

You can also change the mailing address that your property tax bill and assessment are sent to.

How do I pay my tax bill?

The City of Calgary offers a variety of property tax payment options to pay The City directly or through your bank. Credit cards cannot be used to pay property tax.

The Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) is a popular program that allows you to pay your property tax on a monthly basis instead of making one payment in June. Your payment automatically comes out of your chequing account the first day of every month, making paying your property tax easier.

When are property taxes due?

You must pay your property taxes by June 30, 2017 to avoid penalties.

A 7% penalty is added to any unpaid tax bill balance after June 30.

I filed a complaint about my assessment with the Assessment Review Board. Do I still have to pay my taxes by June 30th?

Yes. If you have filed a complaint against your assessment you must still pay your taxes by the due date to avoid a late payment penalty.

If the Assessment Review Board (LARB or CARB) or Court of Queen’s Bench or Municipal Government Board makes a decision on your complaint that results in a lower tax levy, the reduction will be credited to the tax account. Interest will be credited to the account if the tax reduction results in a credit balance. A refund cheque will be issued for accounts with a credit balance greater than $25. (Credits of less than $25 will remain on the account.)

Do I have options other than paying the entire tax bill amount on June 30?

The Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP) is a popular program that allows you to pay your property tax on a monthly basis instead of one payment in June, making budgeting easier.

More information

Where can I get more information?

If you have questions about property tax, contact 311.