Share this page Print

Concerns regarding cats

Animal & Bylaw Services helps neighbours address cat concerns. Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, cats must be confined to their owner’s property. Roaming cats often become a nuisance in their communities by digging in neighbours gardens or defecating on their property. A cat roaming off his owner’s property also create safety concerns for the cat, as they may be hit by a vehicle or attacked by wildlife, such as coyotes.

To respond to nuisance cats in your neighbourhood, consider the following options:

Talk to the cat’s owner

If you know who the owner is and feel comfortable doing so, try talking to the cat's owner. Politely explain to the owner the impact their roaming cat is having on you, your property and your pets. You may want to refer them to the online information about keeping cats indoors or cats and the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw. Hopefully this conversation with the cat’s owner will resolve the issue.

Borrow a cat trap from Animal & Bylaw Services

To borrow a cat trap:

  • Call 3-1-1 to put your name on a list to reserve a cat trap.
  • When a cat trap is available, Animal & Bylaw Services will contact you.
  • You can pick up the cat trap from the Animal Services Centre at 2201 Portland Street S.E. You will need to provide a $120 refundable deposit to borrow the cat trap.

Before you use a cat trap, please review the information on cat traps on our website.

Register a complaint with Animal & Bylaw Services

If the cat continues his disruptive behaviour, report this bylaw infraction to Animal & Bylaw Services by calling 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).