Share this page Print

Concerns regarding dogs

We respond to complaints regarding dogs violating the e responds regarding dogs violating the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw 23M2006. Calgarians can file complaints about dogs barking excessively or those off their owner’s property (at large). You must report dog bites and other aggressive animal incidents, such as chases or attacks, immediately by calling 3-1-1.

Under the bylaw, dogs must remain on their owner’s property. Keeping dogs on your property prevents them from becoming a neighbourhood nuisance. This reduces the chance than a neighbour will complain about your pet regarding behaviours like defecating on their property or chasing their pets. A dog roaming off his owner’s property also create safety concerns for the dog, as they may be hit by a vehicle or attacked by wildlife, such as coyotes.

Dogs must be supervised at all times. This supervision prevents nuisance behaviours, such as barking.

To respond to concerns regarding dogs in your neighbourhood, consider the following options:


1. Talk to the dog’s owner

If you know who the owner is and feel comfortable doing so, try talking to the dog’s owner.  Politely explain to the owner the impact their nuisance dog is having on you, your property and your pets. You may want to refer them to the online information about dogs and the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw. Hopefully this conversation with the dog’s owner will resolve the issue.

2. Register a complaint

If the dog continues his disruptive behaviour, call 3-1-1 to register a complaint or register a complaint online.   An officer will investigate the complaint and follow up with the complainant.
If the dog is running at large in the community, an officer will be sent to catch the dog.  If the dog is licensed, he will be returned to the owner and the owner may be fined. If the dog is not licensed, he will be impounded at the Animal Services Centre until the owners can be found.
How to register a complaint:
If you would like to register a complaint against a dog, please call 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary). Please be prepared to provide the following information:
  • Your name, address, and home and business telephone numbers
  • The location, date and time of the incident
  • The current location of the dog, if known
  • Brief details of the incident, including names and telephone numbers of any witnesses
  • The dog's breed, size and colour.
  • Any identifying features of the dog, such as collars or markings
  • Where the dog lives and/or who the owner is, if known
To aid 311 respond faster, please be ready to describe your complaint briefly and concisely. This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself to the 311 call-taker.