Share this page Print

Concerns regarding animal noise disturbances

Animal & Bylaw Services responds to complaints regarding animals violating the  Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw 23M2006.
Section 23 (1) of the bylaw states that: “The Owner of an Animal shall ensure that such Animal shall not bark, howl, or otherwise makes or causes a noise or noises which disturbs any person.”

Addressing concerns regarding animal noise disturbances

• If you feel comfortable and safe, you could try talking to the owner of the disruptive
• You could leave an anonymous note in the owner’s mailbox respectfully describing your
  concern and the impact it has on you.
• You could leave a copy of the Responsible cat Ownership/Responsible Dog Ownership
  brochure in the owner’s mailbox.
• You can also file a complaint online or by calling 311.
When filing a complaint, please be prepared to provide the following information:
• Your name, address, and home and business telephone numbers
• The location, date and time of the incident
• The current location of the animal, if known
• Brief details of the incident, including names and telephone numbers of any witnesses
• The animal's breed, size and colour.
• Any identifying features of the animal, such as collars or markings
• Where the animal lives and/or who the owner is, if known
This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself to the 311 call-taker.
Once a formal complaint has been filed, the following will occur:
1) The animal’s owner will receive a formal warning letter advising of the problem with
    suggestions for correction.
2) The plaintiff will receive a letter acknowledging the receipt of the complaint. The
    plaintiff will also receive a form to document the times and dates of the animal
    disturbance. This documentation should cover a period of at least five (5)
    continuous days.

**NOTE: Unless the plaintiff is willing to complete this documentation on the animal, then
             the complaint cannot advance any further. The plaintiff has up to 6 months to
             complete and submit this documentation. It is important for the plaintiff to KEEP
             their letter for future reference.

3) When the documentation is completed, the plaintiff should mail it to:
    Animal & Bylaw Services, City of Calgary
    P.O. Box 2100, Station M, #36
    Calgary, AB, Canada, T2P 2M5

The court has requested that Community Mediation be the first approach to resolve the problem noise.
The officer and plaintiff will determine if mediation is an option.
The plaintiff must then be required to identify the problem animal to the Officer. If the animal is identified, a summons is normally issued at which time the animal’s owner will have the right to have all parties attend court to hear the evidence. If the animal’s owner is found in violation of the Bylaw, the penalty will be set "at the Court's Discretion".