Share this page Print

Cats - FAQ

​The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) about cats and the answers to the FAQs about cats.​

What should I do if my cat becomes lost? 

Immediately check around your home and neighbourhood. Ask family, friends and neighbours if they have seen your cat. If you don't find your cat after this initial search, the following actions are vital in helping to locate your missing pet: 

  • Call 3-1-1 and file a lost pet report. Be prepared to give a description of your cat, including their licence number and tattoo or microchip information.
  • Check if your lost cat has been brought into the Animal Services Centre by frequently checking the listings of impounded cats and adoptable cats on our website. The website is updated every 15 minutes during regular business hours, so check frequently.
  • Download the free City of Calgary Pets mobile application so you can check via your mobile device if your cat is showing up on our impounded or adoptable lists.
  • Visit the Animal Services Centre at 2201 Portland Street S.E. to see if your lost cat is in our facility. It's easier to identify your pet in person than by looking at photos. We are open 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. We are closed on statutory holidays.
  • Contact the Calgary Humane Society to see if they have picked up your pet. Call 403-205-4455 or visit their facility at 4455 - 110 Ave S.E. or check their website at
  • Contact neighbours, service providers and local vet clinics to ask if they have seen your cat. People often bring stray pets to their vet so make sure the vets in your area know what pet you are looking for and how to reach you.
  • Place a "Lost Pet" ad on Shaw Cable TV's website​ and in local newspapers. 

Never give up hope. Your pet may come back to you today or even in a few weeks. Pets have been known to return to their families after weeks of being gone.  

Does The City of Calgary have cats available for adoption? 

Yes! We have cats available for adoption.

If you are interested in adopting a cat please view our list of cats that are available for adoption, then take a look at impounded cats to see other pets that might become adoptable in the next few days.

Please see the adopting a cat or dog page for more details on how to adopt a cat. 

What can I do about unwanted cats on my property?

Under the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw​, cats must be confined to their owner’s property.  To respond to nuisance cats in your neighbourhood, c​​​​​​​onsider​ the following options:

1. Talk to the cat’s owner

If you know who the owner is and feel comfortable doing so, try talking to the cat's owner. Politely explain to the owner the impact their roaming cat is having on you, your property and your pets. You may want to refer them to the information on our website about keeping cats indoors or cats and the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw. Hopefully this conversation with the cat’s owner will resolve the issue.

2. Borrow a cat trap from Animal Services

To borrow a cat trap: 

  • ​Call 3-1-1 to put your name on a list to reserve a cat trap.
  • When a cat trap is available, we will contact you.
  • You can pick up the cat trap from the Animal Services Centre. You will need to provide a $120 refundable deposit to borrow the cat trap.

Before you use a cat trap, please review the information on cat traps on our website.

3. Register a complaint

If the cat continues his disruptive behaviour, contact 311 to file a complaint​. An officer will investigate the complaint and follow up with the complainant.​​​​​​​​

I found a lost cat.  What should I do?

It is important to turn in lost animals to the appropriate place as soon as possible.

  • Cats with ID (City licence tag, microchip, tattoo) should be taken to the Animal Services Centre (2201 Portland Street S.E.) or, if after hours, the closest veterinary clinic.
  • Cats without ID or those found outside of the Calgary city limits should be taken to the Calgary Humane Society.

Veterinary clinics are not able to accept the animals that should go to the Calgary Humane Society. However, they can scan these animals for a microchip.

What should I do if the lost cat has been injured?

Lost cats found within the city limits that have been injured, with or without ID,  should be taken directly to a veterinary clinic. If transportation is an issue and you are not able to deliver the injured stray to a clinic, please contact 311 and Animal Services will pick the animal up and transport it to the closest available veterinary clinic.

I found a cat with a licence tag. Can you give me the name and address of the owner so I can return the cat myself?

Because the information is confidential, we cannot release the owner's name and address.

I cannot keep my cat any longer. Can I surrender my cat at the Animal Services Centre?

We do not accept surrendered animals. Calgarians who feel they must surrender their cat can do so at the Calgary Humane Society.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​