Share this page Print

Waste and Garbage - FAQ


What does "waste" mean?

Waste includes any litter or refuse as defined under the Waste and Recycling Bylaw.

Where can I obtain a copy of the Waste and Recycling Bylaw?

You can obtain a paper copy of the bylaw from the City Clerks office or download an electronic copy.

Can I store waste materials on my own property?

It is a violation of theCommunity Standards Bylaw 5M2004 to allow waste material to accumulate on your property.

What types of waste are not collected by Waste & Recycling Services at my residence?

  • No items longer than 1.25 m or heavier than 20 kg are collected.
  • No automobile waste including parts, tires and batteries are collected.
  • No building materials, fences or gates are collected.
  • No large household appliances and furniture, mattresses and box springs are collected. It is the owner's responsibility to take these items to any of the City landfills for disposal.
  • No trees, tree limbs, shrubs, bushes, loam, gravel, sod and prunings that are not properly packaged are collected.
  • No household chemicals or hazardous waste are collected.
  • No liquids are collected.
  • No waste that is unsafe to the collector to access or handle is collected.
  • Please see the "What goes where?" search tool here to learn about proper recycling and disposal of an item.

What do I do about my tree trimmings?

Put branches and yard waste directly into the green cart. Extra tree branches and prunings can be bundled into 1.25 m (4 feet) lengths and tied with natural fibre string. Prunings cannot be stored or piled loose in the lane.

What about my grass clippings?

Put grass clippings directly into your green cart for composting. If you have extra clippings, put in paper yard waste bags, roll closed and place one foot to the side of the cart on collection day.

What do I do with medical waste and needles?

Hypodermic needles/medical waste must be packaged and made safe for collection. Place them in puncture resistant non-breakable containers with a tight-fitting lid and put in black cart as garbage.

How do I dispose of sharp objects (glass, mirrors etc.)?

Sharp objects must be packaged and made safe for collection. Place them in puncture resistant non-breakable containers with a tight fitting lid. Glass containers can be recycled at your neighbourhood recycling depot or in your Blue Cart.

How do I dispose of animal waste and carcasses?

Animal waste, sawdust, and fireplace ashes can be composted in green cart. Must be bagged in a paper bag and rolled closed or compostable bag and tied closed.

Small animal carcasses can go in green cart (rabbit, mice, birds etc.). Large animals (deer, moose, elk etc.) need to be taken to a City landfill site for disposal.

In the case of pets, citizens can also make arrangements with their vets.

What are the bylaw regulations regarding setting out my blue, green and black carts garbage onto the street or backlane?

Your carts  must be set out for collection no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection and no earlier than 7 p.m. on the day before collection. 

For Lane Service:

  • Place your carts beside the lane, so that collectors have direct and safe access.
  • Don't place your garbage behind a fence or in a garage because collectors are not permitted on private property.

For Front Street Service:

  • Place cart wheels against the curb.