Share this page Print

Community traffic concerns

Community traffic studies aim to reduce the negative impacts of traffic in neighbourhoods. The main objective is to influence driver behaviour through the implementation of a traffic management plan and traffic calming measures.

The focus of traffic calming is to address existing and measurable traffic problems. Examples include speeding problems, short-cutting traffic through neighbourhood streets, and pedestrian and cyclist issues. The location of traffic calming measures is influenced by the needs of emergency response services, along with other design considerations. Calming measures are typically installed on local and collector streets only and do not necessarily reduce traffic volumes.

Community traffic study application process (updated Apr. 2019)

The City of Calgary is currently undertaking a review of residential speed limits, a key factor in how we assess, prioritize, and design traffic calming measures. The outcomes of the review are expected to address many of the concerns that community members regularly raise through the Community Traffic program and Traffic Study applications and may result in traffic calming measures being installed in many locations across the city. As such, we are currently not accepting any new Traffic Study applications until a decision has been made by Council on the Residential Speed Limit Review in Q4 2019.

Though we are not currently accepting new traffic calming inquiries, we are still actively working to:

  • Eliminate sidewalk gaps or missing links that exist in our sidewalk network
  • Enable safe travel for students to and from school (Safe and Active Routes to School program)
  • Assess spot improvements for traffic safety

Citizens are still encouraged to identify locations of concern in their community for these items by contacting 311. Submitting a formal application with resident signatures is not required. To report a traffic safety concern, please complete the following online form, call 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.


Community Transportation links and resources


Contact Community Transportation

To report a community traffic concern or to apply for a community traffic study, please complete the following online​ form, call 311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary.

​​​​​​​​​eServices - Online request

  1. If you are concerned about speeding in your community, please complete a Traffic Service Request.
  2. If you are concerned about traffic signals in your community, please submit the online request form.

Report speeding concerns

To report a speeding concern or dangerous driving, please contact the Calgary Police Service by:

Related documents