Calgary reopening grant
Who can apply
Eligible business owners can apply in the following categories:
- Restaurants, pubs, and bars
- Fitness centres
- Entertainment establishments (nightclubs and live music venues only)
- Businesses must have a valid active business licence in one of the three business categories indicated above.
- Businesses must have been in operation since at least March 2020.
- Businesses must have a permanent physical premise within the Calgary city limits.
- Businesses with more than one location are eligible to apply to a maximum of three locations regardless of business category.
- All recipients of the Calgary Reopening Grant will be disclosed.
How to apply
Applications will be accepted from July 2, 2021, to August 10, 2021, or until funds are exhausted (whichever is sooner).
Grants will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
Read the terms and conditions of the program.
To apply for the Calgary Reopening Grant program, you will need the following information:
- Business licence number – enter the full licence #, including "BL"
- Operating as or trade name – this may be the name of the corporation as registered through corporate registries or the common name this business is referred to
- Business location address – this is the permanent physical location this business is operating from
- Corporation/partnership/sole proprietor name
- Appropriate business category
- Applicant must have proper authority to consent to the details of the application
If you have questions about your business licence, visit business licencing and permits.
Note: When you have successfully submitted your application, the screen will display a success message. Print that screen for your records. You will not receive an email confirmation.
The City will provide notification of application status within 30 days of receipt of your application. Details of payment will be included in this notification.
See below for answers to common questions, or submit an inquiry.
Please note due to the high volume of inquiries, The City will respond to your inquiry within seven business days. All inquiries will be answered in the order received.
Submit an inquiry by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-268-5990.
Should you have further questions about this program or need assistance, please submit your inquiry.
Questions about the program
A corporation, partnership or sole proprietor with multiple Calgary permanent physical premises are eligible to apply. When a corporation, partnership or sole proprietor has more than one location, the business owner is eligible to apply to a maximum of three locations regardless of business category.
To ensure transparency in the use of grant funds allocated under this program, The City of Calgary will be publishing a list of all recipients of the Calgary Reopening Grant. To qualify for this grant, consent must be received to agree for your business name, trade name(s) and business location address(es) to be disclosed to the public for this purpose.
No. An eligible business may apply for only one of the available grant programs for each location up to a maximum of three grants. Eligibility will be based upon the primary use of the premise.
No. The Calgary Reopening Grant program has a limited budget that provides targeted financial support for restaurants, pubs, bars, fitness centres, nightclubs and live music venues in their reopening efforts.
No. Businesses must have a valid business licence within one of the three business categories since March 2020 and operating at this location, will be eligible to apply. Businesses must hold a permanent physical location within Calgary city limits.
No. The Calgary Reopening Grant program is to support those business impacted by full closure/partial closure or reduced capacity. Businesses must hold a valid business licence within one of the three business categories and occupy a permanent physical premise within Calgary city limits.
Questions about submitted applications
The City of Calgary will email all applicants as to the status of the application. Applicants will be notified within 30 days of when application is received. Please print the screen after your successful submission of the application for your records.
Applicants that are approved will receive notification from The City within 30 days of when the application was submitted. Cheques will be payable and mailed to the corporation, partnership or sole proprietor’s name and mailing address as provided on the application within 10 days of this notification.
The Calgary Reopening Grant provides targeted financial support for restaurants, pubs, bars, fitness centres, nightclubs and live music venues in their reopening efforts. The City’s decision on whether a business qualifies to receive a grant is final.