Bylaw specified penalty reference guide
An enforcement guide to frequently used sections and their penalties
Information in the bylaw specified penalty reference guide is provided solely for the user’s information and should not be construed as legal or professional advice. While thought to be accurate, it is provided strictly ‘as is’ and without warranty of any kind. The City of Calgary, its agents, employees or contractors shall not be responsible for the accuracy of the contents, and shall not be liable for the results of any action taken on the basis of the information provided in this document.
Legislation is subject to change. For legislative certainty, you should always consult the applicable bylaw, regulation, act or enactment. Electronic, uncertified copies of bylaws are available from The City’s web site at www.calgary.ca to obtain certified legal copies of City bylaws, call the Bylaw Clerk, City Clerk’s department, 268-5732.
Any provincial or municipal bylaw offence committed for which a specified penalty of $1,000 or less is prescribed, must be charged using a Part 3 violation ticket (Offence Notice), unless the public interest exception applies.
If the specified penalty is $1001.00 or more or, in the Public Interest (must be mandatory court) Part 2 (Summons) or, if the accused is from Out of Province, issue a Part 2 AND you will need to fill in the "Voluntary Payment Option”.
Subpoena requests must be submitted directly to the Law Department, internal mail code #8053.
Community mediation Calgary Society
Some situations are best handled by alternate measures, as opposed to issuing a summons or notice. The Community Mediation Calgary Society offers this type of service, together with some tips. Learn more.
For more information about the contents of this quick reference, please contact the following:
- 311: The City of Calgary’s 24/7 service. Staff cannot interpret legislation, but can access The City’s posted uncertified bylaw information for details on schedules, lists, conditions, definitions, etc. which could not be printed here. The information in this guide may be updated between printings, and 311 will have access to the updates.
- Calgary Transit, Public Safety Enforcement Dispatch: 403-268-1412
- Sergeants Office, Calgary Transit, Public Safety: 403-268-1419
- Calgary Parking Authority: 403-537-7100
- Business Licenses: 403-268-5521
- Calgary Community Standards Bylaw Operations Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CCS Training Officer: 403-660-3719