The following eligibility requirements apply to all Calgary Award categories (exceptions noted). For specific award criteria, visit the appropriate award category links.
- Each Calgary Award is given to an individual, group, organization or corporation depending on the criteria for that award.
- Only one recipient is selected for an award. In some circumstances, no recipient is selected.
- Nominees may only be nominated for one award in a given year.
- Individual nominees must be residents of Calgary (permanent address in Calgary) for two years as of December 31, 2019. Exception: The International Achievement Award.
- Groups, organizations or corporations must be Calgary-based or a local branch of a national or international organization.
- Nominees must not currently hold political office. Exception: The W.O. Mitchell Book Prize.
- Current and former City of Calgary employees or elected officials are not eligible for a Calgary Award for their work as a City employee or elected official. Similarly, City business units and City projects are not eligible for a Calgary Award.
- Recipients cannot subsequently receive an award in the same category for the same achievement.
- Recipients are not eligible to receive an award within five years of having received an award in any category. Exception: The W.O. Mitchell Book Prize
- The Calgary Awards juries selects all award recipients and base their decision solely on the information provided in the nomination package.