Share this page Print

Health Management - Leave & Disability - Introduction

Human Resources


Health Management

Leave & disability

Employees who are sick or injured are encouraged to take time off work to recover. Most time off is covered by Sickness and Accident (S & A) or Long Term Disability (LTD), depending on length of absence. Refer to the Employee Benefits Booklet or the Fire Fighter Benefit Information for eligibility information.

Time off for absences related to a workplace injury is covered by Workers Compensation Board (WCB) and need to be reported immediately after they occur. Refer to the internal Safety website on myCity or for more information on reporting work injuries and illnesses.

What to do when an employee calls in sick.

Homewood Health Inc. adjudicates S&A claims after five consecutive days or 4 consecutive work days for IAFF Local 255 members on a platoon schedule and manages the case files for the duration of the absence. The City will pay 90 per cent of an employee's base pay while they are on S&A. This benefit is taxable, with CPP and EI deductions.

Applying for S & A benefits

Long term disability (LTD) benefits

Long term disability begins on the 120th day absent for eligible employees.

Great-West Life, adjudicates and manages LTD claims. If approved Great-West Life pays for the absence. Premiums for LTD are paid by the employee, therefore benefit payments are non-taxable.

Payments from Great-West Life to the employee are calculated as 67 per cent of the first $27,000 of gross annual earnings, 55 per cent of the next $90,000 and 50 per cent of the remainder. They are paid up to a maximum age of 65 (or age 60 for firefighters) as long as the definition of disability is satisfied under the contract. MEBAC agreement.

Applying for LTD

Who can help?

Human Resources

Employee Benefits Booklet
Firefighters Benefits Information

Homewood Health

Direct Tel: 403-705-2024
Toll Free: 1-800-472-4904
Fax: 1-866-460-4645

Great-West Life: Calgary Disability Management Services Office

Phone: 403-515-5900
Fax: 403-234-7565
Toll free: 1-866-221-8524

Workers Compensation Board

Toll free: 1-866-922-9221

Next: Calling In Sick