17 Ave SW and 37 St SW Main Streets Update
The Main Streets program is a City of Calgary initiative that is improving our city. Main Streets helps enhance communities by creating spaces to go, not just move through more quickly. It allows for private and public investment and enables more vibrancy, diversity of businesses, and character.
17 Ave SW (between Crowchild Trail and 37 St SW) and 37 St SW (between Richmond Road and Bow Trail) are the two most recent Main Streets project to go through the design process. Their streetscape master plans have been shaped through stakeholder feedback, technical analysis, and budget considerations. The vision for these streets includes:
- enhanced pedestrian safety and comfort
- improved mobility options, including transit and cycling
- a design that reflects the identity of the surrounding communities
- green, friendly streets through naturalized boulevards, trees, and site furnishings
- making 37 Street and 17 Avenue destinations that will support existing and new local businesses, and
- increased connections to park spaces and amenities.
Categories: Community, Councillor’s initiatives, Development, Traffic, Transportation, Walking and Cycling