Municipal Complex tour
Municipal Complex in-person tours to relaunch September 2022.
NEW! Virtual tour
Join us for an informative tour of The City's Municipal Complex, which includes Historic City Hall, Municipal Building and Plaza, Council Chamber and Administration Building all located in the heart of downtown Calgary.
The Municipal Complex Virtual Tour narrated by a grade 6 student was launched in April 2022.
After you’ve watched the tour, please let us know what you think.
The 28-minute video features:
- Introduction (0:15) – welcome and land acknowledgment
- City of Calgary Buildings (1:03) – tour the three buildings and outdoor plaza that make up the Municipal Complex.
- Municipal Government (10:08) – learn how City of Calgary Council operates.
- City Services (17:06) – check out the 61 services The City is responsible for.
- History, Symbols and Artifacts (19:51) – learn more about the history of Calgary, the symbols that represent our city, and tour the artwork and artifacts that are located within the Complex.
You can also enjoy the tour on our YouTube channel.
Complimentary in-person tours are led by a knowledgeable, specially-trained, volunteer tour guide who will lead your group through the buildings that make up the complex. Along the way, your guide will discuss a variety of interesting facts about the buildings and provide fascinating insights about Calgary's city government.
In-person tours are available to groups of a minimum of 10 to maximum of 60 people.
Groups may include students from Grades 5 to 12, post-secondary classes, and community, seniors, youth and service groups.
When are in-person tours offered?
In-person tours are offered:
- September to May
- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
- Starting at 9:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.
Tours last approximately 90 minutes.
Scheduling is dependent on the availability of volunteer tour guides.
All tours must be requested in advance and will be confirmed four to six weeks prior to your requested date.
How are in-person tours requested and confirmed?
- The online request form below will be completed by the group and received by the City Clerk's Office.
- The request will be put out to the volunteer tour guides for their availability.
- An available volunteer tour guide will be assigned and confirmed.
- The requestor will be notified by email from the tour coordinator four to six weeks in advance of the requested tour date if the tour is confirmed or if more information is required.
- Final tour details will be coordinated between the requestor and the assigned tour guide.
Frequently asked questions about in-person tours
Yes. Tours will cover every corner of the Municipal Complex, but the volunteer guides will do what they can to accommodate any special requests if they have time to prepare, especially if approvals are required.
Combined Council meetings are typically held on Tuesdays once or twice a month. See the Council calendar to verify when a Combined Council meeting is held. If requested in advance and based on availability, the tour guides will take the group into Council Chamber for a portion of a meeting.
- City Hall Parkade (322 - 9 Ave. S.E.)
- Arts Commons (829 Macleod Tr. S.E.)
- TELUS Convention Centre (727 – 1 St. S.E.)
The City Hall CTrain station is connected to the Municipal Complex.
The Municipal Complex has a location where outerwear and backpacks can be stored for the duration of the tour only. There are no facilities within the complex to store food and beverage.
Volunteer to be a tour guide
The City offers tours of the Municipal Complex to students from Grades 5 to 12, post-secondary classes, and community, seniors, youth and service groups.
As a tour guide, you will meet new people, learn about Calgary's history and government, and gain new skills.
For more information, email email@example.com or call 403-268-5861. Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.