Bylaws related to nuisances
Our bylaws prohibit nuisances from escaping residential property. Under these bylaws:
- Activities that allow dust, smoke or other similar matter to escape the premises are not permitted without taking proper precautions to prevent them from escaping.
- Shining an outdoor light directly into the living or sleeping areas of adjacent houses is not permitted.
- Papers, flyers, loose debris, etc. must be collected and contained on your premises so that they do not escape onto neighbouring properties.
- Hoses, downspouts, and eaves troughs must not be placed in such a manner that allows water to flow onto adjacent properties.
Whether a complaint constitutes a nuisance is to be determined by the court.
A court may take the following factors into consideration:
- The frequency of the activity.
- The intensity and duration of the activity.
- The time of day or season.
- The nature of the surrounding area.
- The effect on a complainant or complainants and the effect on the surrounding area.
Fines for violations of these regulations range between $300 and $500.
Nuisances escaping residential property are regulated by our Community Standards Bylaw under sections 40-44.
This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
You may also view the Perimeter Maintenance Brochure for more information about nuisances and other community standards.
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).